Welcome to UPL’s Teen Volunteer Program!
You can select from a wide variety of volunteer activities, both in person and virtual, in order to earn community service hours at Union Public Library. If you have any other ideas about how to earn hours through UPL, talk to us! Stop by the Youth Services Desk at the Main Library or email email@example.com using a personal (non-school) email. To receive updates about new and upcoming volunteer opportunities, join our Remind group by following this link or texting @uplsu2022 to 81010. Please note: If you don’t already have the free Remind app installed on your smartphone, you will be prompted to download it.
How to volunteer with us:
- Before you start volunteering, please complete the UPL Teen Volunteer Application so that we have your details on file.
- Complete volunteer activities of your choice, either in person or virtually – see below!
- Submit your work using the UPL Teen Volunteer Hours Submission Form. It is your responsibility to log your own hours. As long as you log your work, UPL will be able to provide proof of your volunteer activity upon request.
Regular In-Person Volunteer Opportunities
- Students in 7th-12th grade can attend VolunTeens, our drop-in volunteering sessions held twice a month at the Main Library: typically once a month on a Saturday morning and once a month on a Thursday after school. We work on different projects that benefit the library and/or wider Union community. No registration necessary! – 1-2 hours of community service
- Students in 7th-12th grade can volunteer with us during our Teen Volunteer Summer Program. Orientation attendance is required. More information coming in spring 2023.
- View our Events page for upcoming dates and times.
Review Library Materials* (* = Can be done from anywhere)
- You can review any books or media (novels, manga, graphic novels, movies, TV shows, music, video games, etc.), preferably something that UPL owns, for inclusion in our Volunteer Gallery. – 1 hour of community service per review
- Aim to write two paragraphs or so. Click here for Book & Media Review Guidelines, then submit your review(s) using the UPL Teen Volunteer Hours Submission Form (see link above).
Filming Video Content*
- How-to/DIY videos, including (but not limited to): Demonstrating a craft or art technique, teaching or signing a few words in a different language, playing a musical instrument, singing a song – 3 hours of community service for minimum 5 minute video
- Create a book trailer – 3 hours of community service per trailer
- Help the UPL Youth Services Librarians establish a TikTok account – 2 hours of community service
- Make a BookTok about a book or series you found at UPL* – 1 hour of community service
- Take a Bookface photo for the library’s social media* – 30 minutes of community service
- Take photos of your creations from the UPL’s monthly take-home kits, to be posted on the library’s social media* – 30 minutes of community service
- Host and run a library gaming program or tournament – Hours vary, speak to us
- Assist with UPL’s Animal Crossing Island during Animal Crossing Open Hours, our monthly drop-in program*: Donate materials or craft items, hang designs in Mabel’s Shop, help librarians while the island is open – 2 hours of community service per program
Project of Your Choice
- Is there something you are passionate about? We are open to all ideas that could help both you and the library. Feel free to discuss it with us and we’ll do our best to make it happen! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Youth Services Desk at the Main Library!
- We are happy to discuss collaboration ideas with scout troops and individual scouts.
- Explore some examples of teen-led programs and projects at other NJ libraries and further afield for inspiration: