Union will break ground on a new Public Library building this spring!
The Township along with the Library Board of Trustees recognize the need for a 21st century library that allows our community to connect, explore and discover. The new library will be built at the former Main Library site at 1980 Morris Ave and is expected to be completed in 2024. Preliminary plans for the new building include a black box theater space, an educational center, meeting rooms, and an arts center. The building will serve as a community hub.
According to Union Business Administrator Don Travisano, taxpayers will not be impacted by construction costs, as proceeds from the PILOT program put in place for the Vermella project will cover the costs of the new library.
3D sketch video of new Main Library building, January 2023
View the Library Q&A session from October 28, 2021
During this period of transition, operations and layouts will be altered. However, library staff will continue to provide the services and resources that patrons have come to expect.
What to expect:
- The Vauxhall Branch remains open
- The Interim Main Library is located at 1060 Stuyvesant Avenue. This interim location includes:
- Children’s and Young Adult book collections
- New books and DVDs for Adults
- Public computers and free Wi-Fi
- Printing, scanning and copying
- Newspapers and magazines
- Reference and Children’s Librarians
- Holds, pickups and returns
- All other books and material will be kept off site, but accessible to patrons by placing a hold. To best meet the needs of the community, library staff expect to be able to move material back and forth between locations on a daily basis.
- Construction on the new Main Library is expected to last for approximately two years. The new facility, to be build on the existing site, will include spacious seating and reading areas, bright displays, quiet study and meeting rooms, bathrooms on every floor, a community performance center, and so much more.
We ask residents for patience during this transitional time, and encourage everyone to visit the Library website for the most up-to-date information. For more information please email email@example.com or call the Main Library 908-851-5450.